Monday, June 24, 2019
This post marks 3rd year of my ham activities. I got first licensed in 2012, but went on the air 5 years later, in 2017, when I got my General ticket. After years of involvement I decided that:

From the beginning, my only transceiver had been Icom IC-7300 and it is still going strong, accompanied by Elecraft KPA500 linear amp and Kessler AT-Auto antenna tuner. I like the transceiver very much and want to use it mobile/portable (and did it on a few occasions, see here and here). So, for a while

I pondered acquiring another Icom 7300, but the idea somehow sounded silly and I ended up with used Flex 6300 box, which went through FRS' "pre-hated" re-sale system.

I installed the radio in parallel with Icom setup (same antennas though). I liked SmartSDR interface, it went naturally with my operating style. Part of it might be the fact that I am an old IT guy and all things computer are my daily bread.

At first, I used small LDG IT-100 antenna tuner with the Flex, but this tuner is Icom-specific and while it can be used in the shack with non-icom transceiver -- all you need is a power cable -- remotely, it is not accessible without Icom host radio. So, I decided to add yet another tuner which would

  • handle at least 500W output of my Elecraft KPA500 and
  • will be accessible remotely from the PC;
Elecraft KAT500 was the answer. I also added Elecraft W2 wattmeter for the same reason: it can be accessed remotely with an app. I acquired both as kits and last weekend I assembled the KAT500 and the W2 -- both went together with no problems, thanks to the great documentation/packaging by Elecraft. Another addition is Bulgarian-made antenna switch with web interface (MS-S7-WEB), tested and in use, replacing Ameritron RCS-8V switch (which by the way is in the process to be rebuild for remote access, too).

My remote shack is now complete. It is joy to use locally, and it works remotely in team viewer session like a charm. Icom 7300 is now serves as a voice operating position only and I will be using it often for all out-of-shack activities.

So here are my recent projects,
73 and have fun with yours!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment